Select Page

Wooden spoons are a popular choice for cooking and serving utensils, but they can also be a breeding ground for mold if not properly cared for.

In this article, we will explore whether or not wooden spoons can grow mold and what steps you can take to prevent it from happening.

As a culinary enthusiast, I can confidently say that wooden spoons can grow mold.

It’s important to properly clean and dry your spoons after each use to prevent any unwanted microbial growth. But even with proper care, it’s still possible for mold to appear on the surface of your spoon.

Only 8% of kitchens we have tested didn’t have a presence of mold. Source:

What causes mold to grow?

Mold growing on wood is caused by mold spores in the environment.

These spores can settle on wooden kitchen utensils and, if left in a warm and humid environment, can grow into mold. Not all types of wood are appropriate for kitchen utensils, as some may not be food safe and may harbor bacteria or mold.

Proper cleaning and storage of wooden utensils are also essential in preventing mold growth.

Mold growing on wood
Mold growing on wood

According to the CDC, mold is among the main causes of respiratory illness discovered.

How to remove mold from a wooden spoon

Mold on wood is a common problem, especially if they need to be properly cleaned and dried after use.

First, rinse the spoon under hot water to remove loose mold spores.

Then, fill a sink or basin with hot, soapy water and let the spoon soak for at least 30 minutes. Use a soft-bristled brush to scrub the mold off the spoon. Rinse the spoon thoroughly with hot water and dry it with a clean towel.

After each use, clean your spoons thoroughly and let them dry completely before storing them.

How to Care a Wooden Spoons

Here are some tips on how to care for your spoons:

  1. Wash your wooden spoons with warm water and soap after each use. Avoid soaking them in water for long periods, which can cause the wood to warp or crack.
  2. Mix equal parts white vinegar and warm water in a bowl to disinfect your spoons. Soak your spoons in the mixture for a few minutes, then rinse with warm water and dry with paper towels.
  3. To prevent your spoons from drying out and cracking, apply food-grade mineral oil or beeswax to the surface of the wood. Rub a small amount of oil or wax with a soft cloth and let it absorb overnight before wiping away any excess.
  4. Don’t put your spoons in the dishwasher or use harsh detergents or abrasive sponges to clean them. This can damage the wood and cause it to lose its natural luster.

Preventing Mold in Wooden Utensils

Surface mold can be removed with baking soda and water, but prevention is key to keeping your wooden utensils food safe.

Always wash your wooden utensils in hot soapy water after each use to prevent mold growth. Make sure to dry them thoroughly before storing them away. Avoid soaking your wooden utensils in water or putting them in the dishwasher, which can cause the wood to warp and crack.

Additionally, you can use food-grade mineral oil to help seal the wood and prevent moisture from penetrating.

Apply a small amount of oil to a cloth and rub it into the wood, covering all surfaces. Let the oil soak in for a few hours, then wipe off any excess.

Eliminate residue and moisture from the bamboo spoons and temper it with edible oils such as olive oil or coconut oil.

Final thoughts

In conclusion, wooden spoons can grow mold if not properly cared for. It’s important to clean them thoroughly after each use, dry them completely, and store them in a dry and well-ventilated area.

Following these simple steps, you can ensure your spoons remain mold-free and safe in your kitchen.


When should you throw away wooden spoons?

First things first, if your spoon is cracked or splintered, chuck it. Ain’t nobody got time for that! You don’t want to risk getting shards of wood in your food or, even worse, in your mouth.

But if it’s just some discoloration or a little wear and tear, don’t be so quick to toss it aside. Wooden utensils can improve with age if they’re well cared for. Just dry them well after washing and occasionally rub them down with food-grade mineral oil to keep them hydrated.

So there you have it, folks. Don’t be so quick to throw away your wooden spoons. Embrace their imperfections and let them live their best life in your kitchen.